Mid-Atlantic Campers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Campers forum! Click here to return to the Main Site

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parc National d'Oka  (Read 4532 times)

Retired Alex

Parc National d'Oka
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:02:58 AM »

This Park is located north and west of the city of Montreal on the north shore of the St. Lawerence (actually Lac des Deux Montanges). Nice big sites with easy back in access and some vegitation, under growth and trees between sites. At this time of year not too much privacy screening provided by any of it. The loop we were in (Le Refuge) had full hook ups ($37.50/day). The fire pits are well located on each site and have a unique swing away cooking grill rather than the flip over grills at Ont Parks.

All persons entering the park have to pay $3.10/day access fee, even if you are camping. This raised our daily fee to $43.70/day. All Quebec parks have a NO PET POLICY. Something to do with protecting the environment. Myself, I don't see how dog crap is any worse for the environment than racoon crap ( of which there are a lot in this park). I pick up after my dog, and I don't see any rangers picking up after the racoons and squirrels.

Rangers have a very heavy presence in the park and rules are strictly enforced. Quiet hours are from 10PM to 8AM. No wood on the fire after 10 and all fires should be out by 11. Everyone seems to respect these rules excapt for one group 2 sites down but they were all tucked in by midnight.

The Park has a very active nature programme, even at this time of year. I think there were 4 activities for those interested on Saturday and more on Sunday. Check out time is 3PM (nice). The beach is beautiful and during the summer there is a free shuttle bus from the campsites to the beach as the parking lot fills up quickly with day trippers from the city.

Close by to the park (<2KM) is the L'Abby d'Oka where you can buy the famous Oka cheese made by the Brothers.

If you intend on booking at this park check the site descriptions on line as there is a proliferation of "Herbes des Pouces" (Poison Ivy for the unilingual) around the park. But, unlike Ont Parks each patch is well marked with caution signs.

We would definately go back.
Alex & Mary Burnett
JD (Boxer Dog)
2011 Onyx 25RB guided by 2011 F150 FX2 Ecoboost via Equal-I-Zer 4PSC
My Pictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up