Mid-Atlantic Campers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Campers forum! Click here to return to the Main Site

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Castaways RV Resort - Berlin, MD  (Read 3692 times)

Cantinagirl

Castaways RV Resort - Berlin, MD
« on: July 18, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »

Hi all...we just got back from a week at Castaways RV Resort and Campground (
http://castawaysrvoc.com/) and we've booked again for the same week next year. It's about 2.5 miles off Rt 50 on Stephen Decatur Hwy (right before you get to the drawbridge into OC). It's very close to Assateague too.

The campground has sites for RVs and tents and they also have cabins, which are painted in caribbean colors. We arrived on Sunday and did the speedy check in, which is you pay your balance before arriving and they have your check-in packet ready to go when you get there. Saves time. The site have stone pads or blacktop depending on which area you are staying in. We were in Site 306, which was near their beach and the Tiki Bar and is shaded by trees. Of course that was one of our only problems, a tree in the way of the awning. Luckily we have an easy up and put that over the picnic table. Our friends stay in the Club Castaways area, which you need a pass card to get into. The sites have blacktop pads and are not shaded, but they have really nice bath houses and thier own small pool. She also told me the laundry machines are cheaper. The regular bathhouses are okay...the showers could have been better...water came out more of a mist. We mostly used the shower in the trailer.

If you don't feel like leaving the campground, you don't really need to. They have a camp store, which in my opinion wasn't over priced. I had to buy some extra sunblock while at the pool and later checked the price against the local Walmart and the camp store wa $1 cheaper. In the store they have basic camping supplies, beer, wine, food items, t-shirts, etc. They also have a deli that will deliver food to your site or the beach if you want. JD's favorite thing was the gumball machine...if you get an orange gumball, you take it to the deli for a free soda. He got 2 orange ones during our stay. The store also sells discounted ride wristbands for the Jolly Roger Amusments in OC.  There is a free shuttle available to take you to OC and for $1 to Assateague State Park ($1 is for park entrance fee).

There are lots of things for the kids too. They have a playground right behind the pavillion, which JD used a lot. Every week day, between 9am and 11am they have a supervised program for kids, where they play games and do crafts. On Tuesday and Thursday afternoon the Coastal Bays Program comes up and does a program on the beach for kids (and adults) where they teach about local marine life. It's $5 for kids, which goes to support the program. They have a fitness center, with 2 treadmils, 2 bikes, and eliptical and strengh training equipment and have water aerobics in the pool for adults only at 10am. They have a schedule posted on boards around the campground with the week's activity schedule and the deli and bar put out a sign everyday with food and drink specials.

The Seacrets tiki bar was close to our site and did have music and bands, which they tell you on the website, incase you'd rather not be near there. It was no problem for us, as they finish playing around 10:30 and close the bar at 11pm...and we sat on the beach listening to the bad and let the boys run on the beach wearing glo bracelets.

Their beach is nice and the water is not really deep or rough, so it's great for the kids. They have some inflatables anchored out to play on too. One morning at low tode, we went with our friends for a walk on the sandbars. You can go really far and we found hermit crabs and sand dollars. On the days we went to the beach, we took our umbrella and beach blanket and a cooler of drinks (sodas, water and beer) and snacks.

We left the following Sunday and when you checked out, they give you priority on sites if you rebook while you are there or on check out. We asked about the site next to us, since it was larger and didn't have a tree, to see if it was available for next year. We had also noticed that there was never anyone in it longer than a few days. Since the last occupant had checked up and not booked, we were able to get that site. She said if we wanted to see if anyone hadn't rebooked that same week next year in the Club Castaways section, we could call the next day. Still haven't done that but probably will.

Also, they are pet friendly and have a beach area specifically for pets and a dog run/play area also.

While staying there we:
- Went into OC twice to the boardwalk.
- Went on the SuperFun Ecotour at Assateague (kyacking with guides who tell you about life in the bay area...had fun and learned alot!) They give part of thier proceeds to a few different bay programs, including the Coastal Bays program that comes to Castaways. [kayak]  http://superfunecotours.com/
- Spent the day on the beach at Assateague Natl Seashore, flying kits and seeing the ponies.
- We also ran up the street on Friday and went to the waterpark at Frontier Town and played mini golf.

If you have any questions, just let me or Reece know. We'd be happy to answer them. As I said, we'll be heading back next year and I'm already looking forward to it.[/list]
'06 Ram 2500 Quad SLT
'14 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Reserve 32RL

Stacy '71; Reece (ChiefRunAmok) '71; JD '07

SleepsInLakes

• Global Moderator
  • Beyond Adult Supervision
Re: Castaways RV Resort - Berlin, MD
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »

Great review Stacy.  It sounds very nice and I don't even like the beach!
16 Ford F-350 Crew Cab (Casper)
19 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
Nights-2003-12,2004-20,2005-5,2006-30,2007-41
2008-41,2009-33,2010-38,2011-27,2012-23,2013 -24
2014 -25,2015 -16,2016-29,2017-19,2018-29,2019-34
2020-41

Suzi-Q

• Are you kidding me?????
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »

Thanks so much for the great review, Stacy. I'll definitely keep it in mind for future vacations. I'm really glad you had a terrific time.
Suzanne, Chris, & the Boys
2015 F150 & 2017 MiniLite 2502KS

ramsport59

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:09:52 PM »

We just booked Frontier Towns little brother, Fort Whaley.  I didnt know there was a camp ground so close to OC.  My Family does a 2 week condo thing end of July every year.  All of us Kids are having kids now, so the condo is getting small.  And we were considering a 2nd place this coming year.

This might be perfect.
Rick

pasnowlady

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 07:33:22 PM »

Just saw that Castaways sold to Sun Coast Resorts.  Wonder what this will mean?  We do not have ressies for this summer, but it is a possibility for next summer.
Becky, Winter, and Bobby
2009 Rockwood Roo 23ss
Pages: [1]   Go Up