Mid-Atlantic Campers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Campers forum! Click here to return to the Main Site

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turkey Swamp Campground  (Read 3804 times)

Adam

Turkey Swamp Campground
« on: August 03, 2008, 10:15:11 AM »

Whatever your taste are state parks or private camps, Turkey Swamp is surely a win win, this little gem of a campground is county managed by Monmouth County, NJ and is located minutes from Interstate 195 in Freehold, NJ all sites are pull through and include 20/30amp w/water.  I don't think you can find a bad site, every site is HUGE and private. The Lake is only a short walk from A+B+C+D loops and you can rent almost any kind of small paddle boat at the boat house. There is also a pool which you need to hop in the auto or hike on a trial for about one mile, it's a small pool.  The campground is patrolled by two very nice rangers, and yes pets are welcomed on their leashes, however alcohol isn't however red cups are approved by the rangers if you can keep a low profile. Enough with chant here are some photo's, of our backyard campground...enjoy.

Note to all....Do bring extra water hose, the typical spicket is at least 50ft to 75ft from your hook-up point, another option it to run off your tank and jockey water to your tank as needed.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564967707XwYmEN?vhost=good-times

Suzi-Q

• Are you kidding me?????
Re: Turkey Swamp Campground
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 12:26:52 PM »

Adam, thanks for the firsthand review. I've read very good comments about Turkey Swamp on other boards & really wanted to get there this summer, but the wknds have just been too busy. We definitely will get there one of these days. I have heard that some of the water hookups require extra hose to make the connection. Did you notice that at all? 
Suzanne, Chris, & the Boys
2015 F150 & 2017 MiniLite 2502KS

Adam

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »

Suzi,

You've read correct, you need to carry some extra water hose. I also now included that note in the review.  It's a great camping spot, especially for us since it's only 1/2 half drive for us.  It's a shame we only learned about this campground this year, and actaully during a google search it crawled me to this site, so thanks.

skittles

• Global Moderator
  • Needs Adult Supervision
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:04:05 PM »

That campground looks nice Adam. Did you by chance take a peek inside the bathhouse? If so, was it well maintained?

I found a link to the campground.
Brenda
2018 Rockwood 2604WS

Suzi-Q

• Are you kidding me?????
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »

Well, here's my Aug 2009 review of Turkey Swamp. It's a sure winner! The park itself is lovely. It has several miles of nicely marked hiking/biking/equestrian trails, several geocaches, a large lake for fishing & boating, a very nice archery range, a couple of playgrounds, & picnic areas. Swimming is available & free with the camping permit at an offsite location.

The campground is great. I particularly like that you can walk from the campground, on trails, anywhere in the park. You don't need to drive. Your pet can accompany you throughout the entire park. Firewood is available in the camp office for a reasonable price. The guy across the main road also sells it, but believe it or not, this park welcomes you to bring your own from home. Aren't they worried about the "emerald ash borer?"

As for the sites, like Adam mentioned above.... they are huge! Every site is a relatively level pull thru with W/E and it's own metal trashcan & recycle bin. The water spigot is on your site .... but far away. We had 40' of hose & it wasn't enough. All sites offer quite a bit of privacy, some more than others. The campground is mostly all shaded under tall trees, with wild blueberry bushes surrounding all the sites. All of the roads in the campground are 1 way, which at times make the site "backwards". However, we saw plenty of campers pulled in the opposite way, so it seems as if the rangers may allow you to do so if your site is like that. Now, for the roads, I'll be honest, some spots are very tight with a large trailer. The roads themselves are packed sand/dirt, which is fine, but in some places there are trees on each side which make maneuvering through the bends a bit tricky. On the plus side, the narrow, curvy road also keeps speed down, so we never once saw any traffic zipping through the loop.

The bathhouse & laundry facility is centrally located, but there are no shortcut paths to it, so you have to walk the entire road. It's not terrible, but if you are on one of the outside loops (A/E) it is more of a distance than most state parks. One notable thing to mention is that the showers each have their own curtain, but no private dressing area. You exit the shower into a group dressing area. It is separated from the main restroom by a curtain. The facilities were well maintained & even on a crowded wknd, never ran out of paper products or soap. A big blower fan was placed on the floor to help keep it dry near the shower area.

There is a beautiful state of the art playground in the campground geared to the younger set. The sign says "under 5", but I think kids a bit older could enjoy it, too. One downfall seems to be that when packed, like our wknd, sound really traveled in this park. It quieted right down at Quiet hour, but during the day, it was noisy. To be fair though, we had one rather "loud" bunch that seemed to be the biggest culprits. The parents appeared to let the kids run wild all day. Because the sites are so huge, most had 3 tents on them which meant we had many large groups & multi-family sites. Nothing obnoxious or rowdy, just noise.

The rangers were very friendly & helpful. They patrol FREQUENTLY in truck or mountain bike. There is a dump station in the campground, located on one of the loops. The campground also has a large group fire ring area with benches, a table, & electric outlet. The park is very easy to get to, a short drive on 195, not far from the NJ Tpk.
Suzanne, Chris, & the Boys
2015 F150 & 2017 MiniLite 2502KS

BuxCamperette

• Needs to get a life
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 07:38:18 PM »

This might be a good spot to try for our November camping trip.
---Marianne (She Who Must Be Obeyed)
2017 Keystone Bullet 248 RKS towed w/ 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
Nights out-2009-29, 2010-26, 2011-29, 2012-18, 2013-18, 2014-22, 2015-1, 2016 Too few!, 2017 Trying for more.

BuxCamper

• Tribal Elder
  • Yeah, us too!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »

Sounds like a winner.
-- Mark (AKA Mud Man)

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up